Energy bolt

Energy is top of mind, not only in the building and real estate industry, but the entire world. With real estate being the largest asset class on Earth there’s no surprises that it’s also the largest emitter of greenhouse gasses, responsible for 40% of global energy use, global CO2 emissions, and 40% of raw material consumption. 

Building floor area is expected to double by 2060, adding 2.4 trillion ft2 (230 billion m2) of new floor area to the global building stock. The equivalent of adding an entire New York City to the world, every month, for 40 years.Of the emissions, approximately 70% are produced by building operations, while the remaining 30% comes from construction. It’s this 70% being produced by building operations where PropTech can play a role in reducing its carbon footprint.

Commercial real estate is the largest emitter of greenhouse gasses, responsible for 40% of global energy use, CO2 emissions and raw material consumption.


Decarbonization is about reducing the carbon footprint through measures such as increasing energy efficiency, using renewable energy sources, and implementing energy management systems to optimize energy use. The goal is to decrease dependence on fossil fuels and lower greenhouse gas emissions.

Other Factors

Laws & Regulation

Governments around the globe are implementing new laws and regulations that give energy ratings to buildings and more importantly, affect the bottom line.

Local Law 97 in New York City for example, it fines organizations per square foot that don’t meet their standards. 

There are also standard bodies like Wiredscore who assess, certify and improve digital connectivity and smart technology in homes and offices on a global scale.

In Australia, there is NABERS who provide simple, reliable, and comparable sustainability measurements across building sectors like hotels, shopping centers, apartments, offices, data centers, and more.

It’s clear which way the tide’s going.

Fluctuating Workplaces

Fluctuating workplace capacities require buildings to be more dynamic. Features like automated lighting and temperature control based on occupancy, and the ability to easily add or remove partitions, can make buildings more efficient and adaptable. Smart technology can also provide insights into space usage for building managers to optimize resources and make informed decisions.

How PlaceOS Can Help

At PlaceOS, we believe efficiency is a big part of the path forward. We also believe it has the lowest barrier to entry. That’s because we’re an integration platform. That means we can connect to your existing technology and make it more efficient through our automation capabilities. You don’t need to purchase new hardware and you’re getting the most out of what you’ve already got.

Energy Monitoring insights

Monitor energy usage in real-time
Track energy usage trends over time
Identify areas of high energy consumption

Energy Automation settings_input_component

Control lighting, HVAC and in-room devices remotely
Set alerts for unusual energy usage
Use occupancy or scheduling as the input to automate lighting, HVAC and more
PlaceOS Skill Interface

Energy Analytics pie_chart

Generate reports on energy usage and savings
Gain insights into correlation between occupancy and energy usage
Understand how, when and where energy is being used and what the cost is
Energy use per room
Facility management energy costs interface and dashboard

Energy Integration electrical_services

Connect building systems to tenancy systems
Run lighting on PoE network switches with control
Bring energy workflows into your existing systems
PoE Network Switches
Power Rails
Learn More